Employers Can Download New Form I-9 Now
The office of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services released a revised version of the Employment Eligibility Verification document (Form I-9) on November 14, 2016.
Employers may use the existing document through January 21, 2017. The new form may also be used right away.
(NOTE: The existing document has a revision date of 03/08/2013 N and expiration date of 3/31/2016)
Visit the I-9 Central website to:
- Download the new form
- Learn more about Form I-9
- Attend an on-demand webinar that reviews the form and best practices
- Read instructions for completing the form
- Download the Handbook for Employers
- Get the desktop widget to access a “fillable” form online
- Learn more about E-Verify – the online option for verification
What is Form I-9?
This form is also known as the Employment Eligibility Verification form. It is used to confirm the identity and employment eligibility of people hired for jobs in the United States. All employers must ensure proper completion of this form.
Employees and employers each complete part of the form. An employee attests to his or her eligibility for employment. Associated documents are reviewed by the employer.
Employers must retain completed forms for a designated period. Forms must be made available for inspection by certain government officers upon request.