If your company has never received an employee complaint of harassment, discrimination, law/safety violations, retaliation or other serious complaints—congratulations! And I really mean it. You can be proud that you have done so well for so long. But things are changing. Turn on the news and see yet another workplace scandal and know that it only takes one complaint to completely change the trajectory of your business and demolish your reputation. Don’t let that happen.
Avoid complaints by implementing Harassment Prevention Training. Implementing workplace training not only prevents situations but if one does arise you will know how to handle it.
Harassment Prevention Training is Absolutely Necessary. Here’s Why…
- Training managers and employees in harassment prevention has been shown to reduce the frequency of these complaints.
- Often times, managers and employees act inappropriately because they aren’t aware that their actions are creating a hostile, abusive, or intimidating work environment.
- The company may be liable.
- There is personal liability for the manager/supervisor.
- If a complaint is filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), there will likely be a review of the company’s policies and documentation of any training conducted will go a long way in defending against a complaint.
If you still aren’t sure if you need training, ask yourself the following… If you answer “I don’t know” to any of the considerations below, you need an HR Professional to audit your existing policy and put together a training program.
- How can management prevent harassment and what are its responsibilities?
- Are the company’s harassment policies up to date?
- Should managers and employees be trained separately?
- How do your managers and employees recognize discrimination and harassment?
- What are the laws prohibiting discrimination and harassment in the workplace?
Hopefully, I have convinced you that you need harassment prevention training. If so, call HRinDemand. Our professionals are approachable and they want to help. We customize training and development programs everyday to fit the needs of all types of businesses. If this article finds you a little too late and a complaint has already been made, check out our post My Employee has a Serious Complaint and give us a call. We can help.
Leave a comment below or call us at (775) 400-1322 to schedule a phone call or an in-person meeting.