Are You Attracting and Hiring Qualified Candidates?
By: Melissa Marsh, MA, SPHR, SHRM-SCP
Your hiring manager interviewed the perfect candidate for the job! They don’t come along often, especially in this tight market. They seemed to “click,” but how did the applicant view the rest of the company? Was your recruiting and hiring process smooth and professional?
Every step in the recruiting and hiring process is an opportunity to show the candidate why they should work for you. Experienced candidates know how to search for the best companies.
- Does the website include a company description, vision and/or mission and core values?
- Is there a career page that showcases why an employee should work for you?
- What benefits does your company offer? Is there work-life flexibility?
- Are employees an important part of creating the company’s culture and growth? How is this accomplished?
- Are you keeping job posting sites updated with your company information? Are you including pictures and other information that is compelling to candidates?
- When an applicant applies for a job, do you reply promptly or leave them in a void?
- Is the process efficient and timely? Are you leveraging technology to make the process more efficient?
- Do you have detailed, accurate job descriptions so applicants can truly understand what the job will be like?
- Does the applicant understand the company’s hiring process?